Justia Lawyer Rating for Jose Noriega
Superlawyer Badges
AV Preeminent Badge
AVVO Rating 10.0 - Top Attorney Criminal Defense
AVVO Rating 10.0 - Top Attorney Personal Injury
AVVO Top Contributor - Criminal Defense
AVVO Clients' Choice - Car Accidents
AVVO Top Contributor - Family
AVVO Clients' Choice - Criminal Defense

Can you sue a jail for failure to provide insulin or other medical care?

A recent tragedy highlight how dangerous a routine trip to a county jail can be for those with serious medical conditions. Sarah Tibbetts was a diabetic who needed regular insulin injections to manage her condition. Sarah was in the Irving jail for a marijuana possession charge and the jail refused to provide her with insulin. Tragically Sarah died as a result of the cruel indifference and incompetence of the Irving jail. The Irving jail should have provided Sarah the insulin she needed, and must provide a basic level of health care to the inmates in their custody. Often, jails show no interest in providing health care and local government cut funding to provide these services. The result is often tragedy.

Jails are required to provide proper medical care to inmates. If not, you can sue for Wrongful Death or other injuries.

The law is clear that inmates have the right to a basic level of medical care in jail. If you have not been convicted of a crime you have what is called a “due process” claim if a jail refuse to provide proper medical care.

What’s the law on medical care and inmates? Can you sue the jail if they fail to provide proper treatment?

A jail or prison’s deliberate indifference to a prisoner's serious illness or injury can be the basis of a federal lawsuit. Deliberate indifference means there must be more than ordinary lack of due care for the prisoner's interests or safety. An inmate must show that a prison official “act[ed] with deliberate indifference [and] exposed a prisoner to a sufficiently substantial risk of serious damage to his future health.

 A mere disagreement with the level and type of treatment is not actionable under the Eighth Amendment.  An incorrect diagnosis does not state an Eighth Amendment claim because the deliberate indifference standard has not been met.  Delay in treatment may be the basis of a lawsuit only if there has been deliberate indifference and the delay results in substantial harm.

If you need to speak with a team of lawyers who can help you with an inmate health care or wrongful death lawsuit call Guest and Gray Law Firm. We have a history of getting the best result in injury, accident, and wrongful death cases and we can help you. We offer free confidential consultations in all inmate wrongful death cases.

Client Reviews
Guest and Gray law firm is wonderful. I have had the chance to work with three of the lawyers and they all have been wonderful. They will tell you when you need a lawyer and when you don't. They actually try to save you money. They respond very fast to questions and try to help you understand what is going on. They are caring and are really judgment free. If I needed a lawyer again I would use this firm in a second and recommend them. K.K.
I used Guest and Gray to deal with my ex wife's accusations of child neglect.I dealt with Robert Guest and Tracy Gray. Both were excellent attorneys and surpassed every expectation I had in fighting the false accusations. We Won ! M.B.
I used Guest & Gray for a child custody case and they were great. I was really nervous about the case but they took care of everything and answered all my questions. I would recommend their services to anyone. J.R.
I can highly recommend Guest and Gray. I have worked on a number of cases with Robert Guest and and Scott Gray and find it amazing how MOTIVATED they are to do everything they can for their clients, not to mention that there superior knowledge, etc. In criminal cases supportive relatives always want to know "what can I do" to help. Hire Guest and Gray. C.S.