Justia Lawyer Rating for Jose Noriega
Superlawyer Badges
AV Preeminent Badge
AVVO Rating 10.0 - Top Attorney Criminal Defense
AVVO Rating 10.0 - Top Attorney Personal Injury
AVVO Top Contributor - Criminal Defense
AVVO Clients' Choice - Car Accidents
AVVO Top Contributor - Family
AVVO Clients' Choice - Criminal Defense

Can I appeal a default judgment if my business was not properly served?

You own a business, and you get sued. But you didn’t know you were being sued because you never saw any papers! And since you didn’t know about the case, you didn’t show up in court. And when you weren’t in court, the judge entered a default judgment against you. Now what do you do?

“Can I appeal a default judgment if my business was not properly served?"

Yes! If you can prove four things, you can get the default judgment reversed so that the case can be heard on the merits and maybe you won’t have a judgment against you. According to a case called Alexander v. Lynda’s Boutique, 134 S.W.3d 845, 848 (Tex. 2004), an appellant must establish four things to prevail on a restricted appeal: “(1) it filed notice of the restricted appeal within six months after the judgment was signed; (2) it was a party to the underlying lawsuit; (3) it did not participate in the hearing that resulted in the judgment complained of and did not timely file any postjudgment motions or requests for findings of fact and conclusions of law; and (4) error is apparent on the face of the record.” If you can prove all four things, you can successfully appeal the default judgment and get a chance at a fair trial.

The Easy Part

The first three parts of the appeal should be fairly easy to prove using the court records. You must have appealed the judgment within 6 months of the judgment being signed, you must have been named in the lawsuit you failed to appear for in court, and you must not have participated in the hearing or filed various paperwork around the time of the court date. The most difficult test is that there is “error apparent on the face of the record.”

The Hard Part

“Error apparent on the face of the record” is what is known as “prima facie” evidence. That is fancy legal talk for obvious errors. The court will only grant your appeal if the record shows that you clearly were not served properly. In a recent case from the 116th Judicial District Court in Dallas, a defendant successfully appealed a default judgment. They proved the first three parts of the test, and then they showed that there was obvious error because the letter sent to them to serve them with the lawsuit was returned to the Texas Secretary of State’s office. The letter was marked, “no such number.”

Have you been hit with a default judgment?

If you have had a default judgment handed down against your business, don’t wait to contact the Guest and Gray Law Firm business law attorney team. Our offices are conveniently located in Forney, Plano, and Rockwall. We can help you plan a way to fight back against default judgments and make sure that the legal system treats you fairly. We are the largest and best-reviewed firm in the area. Rely on your local experts and call us today for a confidential consultation.

Client Reviews
Guest and Gray law firm is wonderful. I have had the chance to work with three of the lawyers and they all have been wonderful. They will tell you when you need a lawyer and when you don't. They actually try to save you money. They respond very fast to questions and try to help you understand what is going on. They are caring and are really judgment free. If I needed a lawyer again I would use this firm in a second and recommend them. K.K.
I used Guest and Gray to deal with my ex wife's accusations of child neglect.I dealt with Robert Guest and Tracy Gray. Both were excellent attorneys and surpassed every expectation I had in fighting the false accusations. We Won ! M.B.
I used Guest & Gray for a child custody case and they were great. I was really nervous about the case but they took care of everything and answered all my questions. I would recommend their services to anyone. J.R.
I can highly recommend Guest and Gray. I have worked on a number of cases with Robert Guest and and Scott Gray and find it amazing how MOTIVATED they are to do everything they can for their clients, not to mention that there superior knowledge, etc. In criminal cases supportive relatives always want to know "what can I do" to help. Hire Guest and Gray. C.S.