Justia Lawyer Rating for Jose Noriega
Superlawyer Badges
AV Preeminent Badge
AVVO Rating 10.0 - Top Attorney Criminal Defense
AVVO Rating 10.0 - Top Attorney Personal Injury
AVVO Top Contributor - Criminal Defense
AVVO Clients' Choice - Car Accidents
AVVO Top Contributor - Family
AVVO Clients' Choice - Criminal Defense

Texas Motorcycle Law

In Texas, to operate a motorcycle on public roadways you must have a valid Class M driver license. In order to receive a Class M license, you pass a written test that covers traffic laws pertaining to motorcycles, and you must pass a road test. The requirements to obtain a motorcycle license differ depending on your age.


Before you can apply for a motorcycle license, you must meet the requirements to obtain a regular driver license, which is a Class C driver license. You must be able to verify your identity, your social security number or lawful presence status, and that you are a Texas resident. Then, if you meet the requirements for a regular license, you must complete a Department of Public Safety approved motorcycle safety course. You should bring the certificate of completion to the driver license office when you apply for your Class M license. If you are from another state and already have a valid motorcycle license, the safety course requirement will be waived.


If you are a minor from the ages of 15-17 and attempting to obtain a motorcycle license, you must already have a Class C learner license or driver license, and you must complete the classroom phase of a driver education course before you are allowed to take the motorcycle safety course. You are not required to take the behind-the-wheel portion of the driver education course to apply for a Class M license. The driver education course requirement applies to all individuals who are under the age of 18, even if they have obtained a motorcycle license in another state.


In Texas, individuals are required to take a motorcycle riding test unless they are:

  1. Eighteen years of age or older, have completed a motorcycle safety course and hold a valid, unrestricted Class A, B or C driver license;
  2. Eighteen years of age or older and are transferring a valid, unrestricted motorcycle license from another state;
  3. They are applying for a motorcycle learner license; or
  4. They are only going to ride mopeds.

You must have the following equipment on all motorcycles and motor-driven cycles to meet the minimum requirements in Texas:

  • Wheel assembly
  • Exhaust system
  • Tail Lamp (1)
  • Stop Lamp (1)
  • License Plate Lamp
  • Rear Red Reflector
  • Head Lamp (1)
  • Motorcycle, Serial, or VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) Number
  • Horn
  • Mirror
  • Steering
  • Brakes
  • Tires

It is important to note that these requirements only pertain to motorcycles; mopeds and scooters have different requirements under Texas law.


Effective September 1, 2009, all passengers on motorcycles must be at least 5 years old. If under the age of 5, the passenger must be seated in a sidecar. If your passenger is under the age of 21, the passenger must wear a helmet. A passenger may only ride without a helmet if the driver meets the helmet exemption. A motorcycle should not carry a passenger unless the motorcycle is equipped with a permanent passenger seat.


At Guest and Gray Law Firm, we are highly qualified to answer any motorcycle related questions you may have. We urge you to contact our office today. We are located in old downtown Forney across from City Hall. The lawyers of Guest and Gray Law Firm have decades of combined Kaufman County experience. We proudly serve all of Kaufman County, including Forney, Terrell, Kaufman, Crandall, Mesquite, Mabank and Scurry-Rosser.

Client Reviews
Guest and Gray law firm is wonderful. I have had the chance to work with three of the lawyers and they all have been wonderful. They will tell you when you need a lawyer and when you don't. They actually try to save you money. They respond very fast to questions and try to help you understand what is going on. They are caring and are really judgment free. If I needed a lawyer again I would use this firm in a second and recommend them. K.K.
I used Guest and Gray to deal with my ex wife's accusations of child neglect.I dealt with Robert Guest and Tracy Gray. Both were excellent attorneys and surpassed every expectation I had in fighting the false accusations. We Won ! M.B.
I used Guest & Gray for a child custody case and they were great. I was really nervous about the case but they took care of everything and answered all my questions. I would recommend their services to anyone. J.R.
I can highly recommend Guest and Gray. I have worked on a number of cases with Robert Guest and and Scott Gray and find it amazing how MOTIVATED they are to do everything they can for their clients, not to mention that there superior knowledge, etc. In criminal cases supportive relatives always want to know "what can I do" to help. Hire Guest and Gray. C.S.