Justia Lawyer Rating for Jose Noriega
Superlawyer Badges
AV Preeminent Badge
AVVO Rating 10.0 - Top Attorney Criminal Defense
AVVO Rating 10.0 - Top Attorney Personal Injury
AVVO Top Contributor - Criminal Defense
AVVO Clients' Choice - Car Accidents
AVVO Top Contributor - Family
AVVO Clients' Choice - Criminal Defense

What to Do If Your Ex-Spouse Violates the Child Custody Order

Going through a divorce is never easy, especially when children are involved. Child custody arrangements are often a contentious issue that requires careful negotiation and compromise. However, even once a custody order is in place, it is not uncommon for one parent to violate its terms. This can be a frustrating and stressful situation, but it is important to stay calm and take the appropriate steps to protect your child's best interests. Here is a comprehensive guide on what to do if your ex-spouse violates the child custody order.

Understanding Child Custody Order Violations

Before we dive into the immediate steps you should take if a violation occurs, it's important to understand what qualifies as a custody order violation. Simply put, a custody order violation occurs when one parent fails to comply with the terms set forth in the court-ordered custody arrangement. This can be a difficult situation for both the parents and the child involved.

When a custody order violation occurs, it can cause a great deal of stress and anxiety for the parent who is being denied access to their child. It can also be very confusing for the child, who may not understand why they are being kept away from one of their parents.

Examples of custody order violations can include:

  • Failing to return the child to the other parent at the agreed-upon time
  • Denying visitation rights to the other parent
  • Relocating with the child without permission from the other parent or the court
  • Exposing the child to dangerous or harmful situations

It's important to note that minor disagreements or deviations from the custody order are not necessarily considered violations. However, if you feel that your ex-spouse's behavior is putting your child at risk or disrupting the custody arrangement, it may be time to take action.

Common Types of Violations

When it comes to custody order violations, there are a few common behaviors that you should be on the lookout for. These include:

  • Withholding visitation or communication with the child
  • Interfering with the other parent's communication with the child
  • Disobeying the custody agreement
  • Making unilateral decisions regarding the child's health, education, or other major life events

If you notice any of these patterns of behavior, it's important to keep detailed records and speak with your attorney as soon as possible. Your attorney can help you understand your options and take the necessary steps to protect your child's best interests.

Identifying Signs of Non-Compliance

In some cases, it can be difficult to determine whether your ex-spouse is violating the custody order. Here are a few signs to look out for:

  • Your ex-spouse is consistently late for exchanges or visitation pickups
  • Your child seems unhappy or anxious when returning from visits with your ex-spouse
  • Your ex-spouse frequently cancels or reschedules visits without explanation
  • Your ex-spouse refuses to communicate with you about important decisions regarding the child

If you suspect that your ex-spouse is not complying with the custody order, it's important to document these signs of non-compliance and discuss them with your attorney. Your attorney can help you gather the evidence you need to prove that a violation has occurred and take action to protect your child's best interests.

Remember, custody order violations can be a serious matter. If you suspect that a violation has occurred, don't hesitate to speak with your attorney and take the necessary steps to protect your child's well-being.

Immediate Steps to Take When a Violation Occurs

If you believe that your ex-spouse has violated the custody order, it's important to act quickly and decisively. Here are a few immediate steps you should take:

Document the Violation

Keep detailed records of any violations, including dates, times, and specific behaviors that you believe constitute a violation of the custody order. This documentation will be important if you need to seek legal action down the line.

For example, if your ex-spouse fails to pick up your child at the designated time, or refuses to return your child to you at the end of their scheduled visitation, make a note of the date and time of the incident, as well as any relevant details such as text messages or emails exchanged between you and your ex-spouse.

It's also important to keep track of any missed visitations or changes to the custody schedule that were not agreed upon by both parties. This information can be used to support your case if you need to take legal action.

Communicate With Your Ex-Spouse

Reach out to your ex-spouse and attempt to resolve the situation through open, honest communication. Be sure to remain calm and factual, and avoid any confrontational or accusatory language.

It's important to remember that your ex-spouse may not be intentionally violating the custody order. There could be a misunderstanding or a change in circumstances that you are not aware of. By communicating openly and honestly, you may be able to resolve the situation without the need for legal action.

For example, if your ex-spouse missed a scheduled visitation because they were unexpectedly called into work, you may be able to work out a compromise that allows them to make up the missed visitation at a later date.

However, if your ex-spouse is unwilling to listen or cooperate, it may be time to seek legal action.

Consult With Your Attorney

Reach out to your attorney as soon as possible to discuss the situation and determine your next steps. They may advise you to file a contempt motion or seek a modification of the custody agreement.

If you choose to file a contempt motion, your attorney will help you gather the necessary evidence to support your case. This may include witness statements, documentation of missed visitations, and any other evidence that shows your ex-spouse has violated the custody order.

If you decide to seek a modification of the custody agreement, your attorney will help you prepare and file the necessary paperwork. This may involve demonstrating a significant change in circumstances that warrants a modification, such as a move to a new city or a change in your work schedule that makes it difficult to adhere to the current custody agreement.

Overall, it's important to take violations of the custody order seriously and take action to protect your rights and the well-being of your child. By documenting violations, communicating openly with your ex-spouse, and seeking legal advice when necessary, you can ensure that the custody order is enforced and your child's best interests are protected.

Legal Remedies for Child Custody Order Violations

If your ex-spouse continues to violate the custody order, there are several legal avenues you can pursue. It is important to take action as soon as possible to ensure the safety and well-being of your child.

Filing a Motion for Contempt

If you can prove that your ex-spouse is willfully and intentionally disobeying the custody order, you can file a motion for contempt with the court. This may result in fines, modification of the custody order, or even jail time for the violating parent. It is important to gather evidence of the violations, such as missed visitations or failure to return the child on time, to strengthen your case. The court takes custody orders seriously and violating them can have serious consequences.

When filing a motion for contempt, it is important to work with an experienced family law attorney who can guide you through the process and represent your interests in court. Your attorney can help you gather evidence, file the necessary paperwork, and argue your case in front of the judge.

Requesting a Modification of the Custody Order

If the violations are severe enough, you may want to seek a modification of the custody agreement. This can be a challenging process, but it may be necessary to protect your child's best interests. A modification may be necessary if your ex-spouse is consistently violating the custody order or if there has been a significant change in circumstances, such as a move or a new job.

When seeking a modification, it is important to work with an experienced family law attorney who can help you navigate the legal system and advocate for your child's best interests. Your attorney can help you gather evidence and present your case to the court.

Seeking Emergency Custody

In cases where the child is in danger or at risk of harm, you may need to seek emergency custody. This should only be done in extreme circumstances and with the advice of your attorney. Emergency custody can be granted if there is evidence of abuse, neglect, or other serious issues that put the child's safety at risk.

When seeking emergency custody, it is important to work with an experienced family law attorney who can help you gather evidence and present your case to the court. Your attorney can also help you understand the legal process and your rights as a parent.

Remember, your child's safety and well-being should always be your top priority. If you believe your ex-spouse is violating the custody order, it is important to take action and seek legal remedies to protect your child.

Preventing Future Violations

While it's important to be prepared to act if a violation occurs, it's even better to prevent them from happening in the first place. Here are a few steps you can take to prevent future custody order violations:

Establishing Clear Communication Channels

Make sure that you and your ex-spouse have clear lines of communication and a shared understanding of the custody order. Establish clear guidelines for visitation exchanges, communication about the child's schedule, and decision-making responsibilities.

Involving a Mediator or Co-Parenting Counselor

In cases where communication is challenging, it may be helpful to involve a neutral third party to help facilitate healthy dialogue and cooperation. A mediator or co-parenting counselor can help you work through disagreements and find solutions that are in your child's best interests.

Utilizing Technology for Better Coordination

There are many online tools and apps designed to help co-parents coordinate schedules, communicate, and share important information about their child. Consider using one of these tools to streamline your co-parenting relationship and reduce the risk of future custody order violations.


Dealing with child custody order violations can be a stressful and emotional experience. However, by understanding your legal rights and taking appropriate action, you can protect your child's best interests and ensure that the custody order is upheld. Remember to document any violations, communicate with your ex-spouse, and seek the advice of a qualified family law attorney to ensure that you are approaching the situation effectively and efficiently.

Client Reviews
Guest and Gray law firm is wonderful. I have had the chance to work with three of the lawyers and they all have been wonderful. They will tell you when you need a lawyer and when you don't. They actually try to save you money. They respond very fast to questions and try to help you understand what is going on. They are caring and are really judgment free. If I needed a lawyer again I would use this firm in a second and recommend them. K.K.
I used Guest and Gray to deal with my ex wife's accusations of child neglect.I dealt with Robert Guest and Tracy Gray. Both were excellent attorneys and surpassed every expectation I had in fighting the false accusations. We Won ! M.B.
I used Guest & Gray for a child custody case and they were great. I was really nervous about the case but they took care of everything and answered all my questions. I would recommend their services to anyone. J.R.
I can highly recommend Guest and Gray. I have worked on a number of cases with Robert Guest and and Scott Gray and find it amazing how MOTIVATED they are to do everything they can for their clients, not to mention that there superior knowledge, etc. In criminal cases supportive relatives always want to know "what can I do" to help. Hire Guest and Gray. C.S.